Congratulations! You have found our website.
Welcome to the online presence of the Mazon-Verona-Kinsman Elementary School District. As you explore our site you will find Information, Articles and Downloads for both MVK Elementary School and MVK Middle School.
Meeting Agenda: September 14, 2016
- Call to order at 6:33 p.m.
- In attendance: Nickie, Amanda, Jessica, Jenna, Katie, Luri, Melanie, Michelle, and Tiffany
- Secretary Report. Approved by Jessica, Michelle.
- Treasurer’s Report: Nickie read / Checking $2479.45 / Savings $26,489.00 / One Discrepancy – a missing check that Jessica is trying to locate.
- Book Fair Committee: September 12-16. Currently have $3006.84 in Scholastic Dollars. $472.50 will be expiring. Discussed giving $150 to each library for new books, and purchasing books at Warehouse to give each student on their birthday. Melanie distributed Book/Catalog to see if teachers needed anything (Middle School will have this opportunity next year). Deb Granger would like to try a tall desk for energetic students.
- Box Tops:
- Campbell’s Labels: Discontinuing, but continue to send in any labels we receive. Ordered heavy jump ropes requested by Melanie Elias last year. Katie Leasure asked if kickballs were an option.
- Schwan’s Cares: $126 for June. Discovered that we have to re-enroll every year (Jessica setting up).
- Shoparoo: Middle School 24,225 points / Grade School 2,340 points
- Field Day: Staley the Bear was a hit. The new timeline created by Melanie and Emiley was successful.
- Room Rep Committee: All Room Representatives have been chosen and given the necessary information by Amanda.
- Spirit Wear: $292 in sales during Registration. $350 in sales during Back to School Nights. Discussed sending a flier home so orders can be placed.
- Family Event: Movie Night tentatively set for November 12th with doors opening at 4:00, movie starting at 4:30. Movie Title TBD.
- Received Thank You’s from Melanie Elias and Lori Cook for Staff Appreciation Week; From Mrs. Reynolds and Mrs. Beaty for Retirement; From Trevor Till for MVK Pride Award.
- Boys Baseball Pants are in and paid for. Nancy will sell old ones as practice pants for $2. That money will come back to PC.
- Wooden Chairs are being sold by Jessica $5 each or 10/$30. They are almost all sold, and the new chairs have been purchased for $871 - - far less than the $2,000 allotted budget, as requested by Keith Martin.
- New President was elected over Summer Break: Nickie Quinn
- New Secretary was elected during this meeting: Jenna Punke-Bendt
- Calendar pre-order for Registration Packets was discussed. Possibly including more information that has a permanent schedule such as School Board Meetings. Sports Schedules will not be an option to include.
- Donation to Talia Freund in the amount of a $100 Casey’s Gift Card was Approved by Nickie and Amanda. Discussed the need to have bylaws in place for future donation requirements and limitations.
- Fundraisers: Discussed changing Chili Supper to Festival of Trees/Tree Lighting Ceremony, Beer and Wine Tasting, Trivia Night, Junk in the Trunk Sale. More research is being conducted on Beer and Wine Tasting Event such as location, price, bus service, etc.
- Bylaws and a Records System is needed for PC. Approved by Amanda and Nickie.
- Request: Mrs. Geyer asking for $50-$100 to purchase 2 DVD players (one for each school) to play instructional Art DVDs. Approved by Jessica and Katie.
- Request: Mrs. Elias asking for $300 for AR prizes, Lunch and Breakfast with her, Battle of the Books, and GRAND Event. Approved by Nickie and Amanda.
- Request: Stephanie Chapman (Cheer Coach) asking for $550 for new uniforms. This Request was tabled until Rotation Schedule can be found
- Request: Mr. Baker would like to order new basketball uniforms. This Request was tabled until Rotation Schedule can be found.
- Open Discussion: Luri (via Amanda) brought up the idea to offer a Welcome Packet to new MVK Students. Melanie said this is already being done at the Grade School.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m Approved by Jessica and Melanie.
Here is the recap of the A team softball game from today:
Mazon-Verona-Kinsman Lady Mavericks Seize Victory Thanks To Late Double, Drop Grand Ridge 5-3.
Mazon-Verona-Kinsman Lady Mavericks outlasted Grand Ridge after four lead changes, win at Mazon Park 5-4.
The Mavericks took the lead in the third inning and held on for the victory. MVK scored on a two-run double by Keeli Pumphrey, scoring Emma Smith and Harmony Neal.
The Mavericks held off Grand Ridge, as Grand Ridge was unable to overcome a three-run third inning deficit. Pumphrey got a hit in each of her two at bats.
Taya Roe got it done on the rubber on the way to the win. She allowed two runs over six innings. She struck out seven, walked two and surrendered four hits.
The Lady Mavericks was sparked by Pumphrey and Alanna Chapman, who teamed up for four hits and five RBIs.
The top of the first saw Grand Ridge take an early lead, 1-0. It didn't take long for MVK to answer as it scored one run of its own in the first. The Lady Mavericks scored on an RBI single by Chapman. That's all it took to spark the bats for the Lady Mavericks.
It was a great team win and a promising start to the new season.
Let’s Play Two!
The 6 th and 7 th grade baseball team season is underway! We traveled to Saunemin on August 13 th to start our season. B.J. Hooker took the mound in our first game against Buckley St. Johns. The Mavericks had some first game nerves as we struggled finding the strike zone and made some errors in the field, but I was proud of our team for playing hard against an older and bigger opponent. Chris Poyner scored our lone run, as we lost 12-1.
In the second game, we played Bishop McNamara. Patrick Griffin took to the hill to start the game. We stayed with them for the first few innings, but they pulled away late by a score of 15-1. David Hatz made some nice plays at first base and scored for the Mavericks. As a team, we threw more strikes then in the first game.
On August 15, we went to Saratoga and battled the Hawks as well as the rain! Brett Marques pitched really well for us to start the game. He only allowed 4 runs on under 50 pitches through 4 innings. Eli Hill came in in relief of Brett. Dalton DeGrush made a great double play in the 4 th inning to keep the game tied. As the rain started to fall, the Mavericks began to struggle. Saratoga scored 7 runs in the 5 th inning to pull away with a 11-4 victory.
We have a busy week coming up. Our next game is Thursday August 18 at Dwight. Then we play GSW at Mazon Park on Friday, and finish the week with a tri-play Saturday at home against Coal City and Reed Custer! Come on out and cheer us on!!